Looe Valley, Cornwall
Welcome to Ellie’s Haven – “Our Special Place for Special Children”
An accessible Holiday home located in Looe Valley, Cornwall with 6 Bedrooms (Sleeps 9)
Ellie’s Haven was founded in November 2007, by Nigel and Julie Libby with the sole purpose of offering a non-medical holiday service to children with disabilities and life limiting illnesses and their families. The charity was inspired by Ellie who sadly passed away on 5 January 2012, a few weeks before her seventh birthday.
In December 2021, following months of talks, Ellie’s Haven merged with Kids in Action. If you would like to learn more about Ellie and how Ellie’s Haven became what it is today, please click on the link below.
Ellie’s Haven is in a peaceful location on the outskirts of Duloe, which is a small pretty village in Cornwall close to Looe and Polperro. Within the village there is a social club with a bar, a pub/restaurant, village stores with a post office and a church, all of which are within a 10-minute walk from Ellie’s Haven.
The house and garden are private and are for the exclusive use of families enjoying a holiday at Ellie’s Haven. They will not be disturbed or overlooked by Ellie’s Haven staff or families visiting the sensory studio.
- Bedroom 1 – equipped with a double bed with an entrance door and a door to access the assisted bathroom.
- Bathroom – equipped with another ceiling-mounted hoist and a Gainsborough Henley Hi-lo Powered Bath.
- Bedroom 2 – equipped with a profiling single bed (with safety guards).
- Wet-room – equipped with a roll-in shower. It is situated in the corridor outside the main entrance to Ellie’s Haven, alongside Ellie’s Haven entrance and The Sensory Suite.
- Living room – this is a large spacious room, equipped with a sound system TV that has Freeview and is NETFLIX compatible if you have an account.
- 1 x double bedroom (plus a cot).
- 1 x twin bedroom.
- 2 x single bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have security locks.
- There is paved drive and parking area suitable for several cars. The entrance to Ellie Haven is shared between the house, the Ellie’s Haven office and the sensory studio.
- The garden is secure and has a path network suitable for wheelchairs. It is mainly laid to lawn and includes a water feature and summer house. Garden Furniture is available to use, and there is a variety of Sensory equipment available in the garden.
- There is outside CCTV for your and the property’s security.
Specialised Equipment & General Facilities
Specialised Equipment Available for Guests
Guests will be inducted in the use of all specialised equipment on their arrival at Ellie’s Haven.
Here’s the details of what we provide. Please click on the links to see the user manuals/further information:
General Facilities Available for Guest Use
- All standard kitchen equipment including a dish washer and microwave.
- All standard crockery and cutlery.
- Washing machine, tumble dryer.
- All bed linen (with the exception of bed linen for the cot).
What Our Visitors Said
In order to stay at Ellie’s Haven there has to be at least one member of the party who has a disability or life limiting illness that would benefit from the facilities available.
It is primarily aimed at children with disabilities, but we do allow adults with disabilities to stay out of school holidays (although we advise you to check the equipment in the links above to make sure it meets needs). School holidays are reserved for families with school aged children (17 and under).
We also require all guests to be a current member of Kids in Action, this helps us to cover the administration costs, and allows guests to use any of our other holiday homes and facilities. The cost of membership is £30 for the year per family.
- Holidays during the school holiday are Thursday to Thursday and we only let it for a maximum of 1 week.
- Outside of school holidays you can let Ellie’s Haven for more than 1 week at a time and we also offer long weekends and midweek breaks.
- To book we require a deposit of £300 per week booked at the time of booking plus the membership fee of £30, and we would require balance to be paid 8 weeks before departure.
- From 1st Jan 2024 we require all guests to provide a £250.00 security deposit, which will be returned within 5 working days, subject to a satisfactory inspection of the house following your departure.
- Price and availability are subject to change, for up-to-date information we ask that you submit a booking enquiry below.
The nearest GP surgery is: Old Bridge Surgery, Looe.
IMPORTANT: If you have already booked a holiday at Ellie’s Haven please email the following information to the above surgery (email address: [email protected]) so the GPs are aware of your child’s particular condition and treatment:
- Any care plans or procedures you have in place.
- The dates when you will be staying at Ellie’s Haven.
Elllie’s Haven is tagged by the Ambulance Service.
Beach Wheelchair Hire
Sand chairs are available at about a dozen beaches in Cornwall, including Looe, via a partnership between Cornwall Mobility and Disability Cornwall.